Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Beer Brief #56 - La Lune Special Ale


Brewery - Borealis Fermentery, Knife River, Minnesota

Beer - La Lune Special Ale

Style - Belgian style special ale brewed with spices

ABV - 7%

Color - Reddish copper with a thick, rocky, off-white head

Aroma - Honey, cotton candy, biscuity malt, bit of stone fruit, herbal spice

Flavor - Honey, caramel, toast, bubble gum, light fruit, strong earthy bitterness

Verdict - A nice Belgian-style that starts off great but finishes much more bitter than I like for this type of beer, so much so that I'm finding it challenging to consider buying another bottle. Of course, that's just my thoughts on the old balance of malt sweetness to bitterness. La Lune does seem well crafted and I am definitely intrigued enough by this brew that I will want to check out the other beers in the Borealis line-up.

P.S. - The name of the brewery, Borealis Fermentery, instantly caught my attention. Being a native Minnesotan who visited the BWCA twice a year during my teenage years, I developed a great fondness for the Aurora Borealis (the Northern Lights) after watching them in the night sky numerous times.

No comments:

Post a Comment