Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Brau Brothers Rubus Black

In mid-June, I made a post about the newest limited brew scheduled for release from Brau Brothers. I had tried the previous 2 and was very excited to hear about the 3rd. When I read the description, I knew I had to try this Brau creation called Rubus Black.

Rubus is an imperial porter brewed with blackberries. The brewers also used a traditional British yeast and a large amount of chocolate malt. It weighs in at 8.9% ABV. I can't wait to pour this brew!

I pour from the 750 ml bottle into my snifter. A 1-finger tan head is generated and then gradually sinks into a thin, oblong-shaped patch with a very fine ring of foam around the glass. The body is very opaque black and does not let any light pass through.

Man, the smell of this beer is making it hard to wait for a taste. The faint aroma of caramelized sugar is overpowered by chocolate and roasted coffee beans. A sweet fruit scent is reminiscent of a chilled blueberry pie.

The flavors of this brew do not disappoint. There is a brief hint of toffee before rich, dark chocolate makes its presence known. An unbelievably clean blackberry taste is fruity and delicious without becoming too sweet. I almost expected some tartness to come from the berries, but that's not the case. Espresso bitterness comes at the finish to help cleanse the heavy malt and fruit from my mouth.

Thick and viscous, this beer is very smooth and pleasant to swallow. There is a definite alcohol warmth that builds with each sip.

Rubus Black is an awesomely rich and fruity beer from Brau Brothers. The aroma and flavor of blackberries perfectly complement the dark chocolate qualities, which are the backbone of the brew. A friend of mine tried this beer at the Saint Paul Summer Beer Fest and did not like it, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm glad I tried it for myself, because I was pleasantly surprised. If you see the 750 ml bottle sitting on a shelf at your favorite liquor store, I greatly encourage you to give it a try. This is another tasty beer from Brau Brothers!

No comments:

Post a Comment