Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Summit Unchained Series Batch 04

After searching through multiple liquor stores in the southeast area of the metro for a week and a half, I did it. That's right, I've finally managed to get my hands on some of Summit's Unchained Series Batch 04.

I had been calling stores to see when they would receive it, which they were happy to tell me. However, when I showed up to make a purchase on the expected days, the distributors had not delivered. In fact, most places in this area did not receive the beer until almost a week after they were first expecting it.

My anticipation was getting the better of me, so I told myself to chill out and patiently wait for this 4th brew in the Unchained Series. Patience is a wonderful thing, because soon after I was rewarded with a notification that some Batch 04 was available nearby.

Enough about the wait; let's talk about the beer. Unchained Series Batch 04 is a Belgian-style golden ale brewed with pilsen malt, candi sugar, and Belgian ale yeast. All that adds up to a beer that is nice and strong at 8.6% ABV.

I pour the 12 ounce bottle into my goblet. A 1-finger white head is easily generated before quickly fading into a thin, patchy island of foam and a ring around the glass. The body is clear and golden with visible carbonation floating towards the surface.

The sweet smells of brown sugar and honey are immediately noticeable. There is also a bit of herbal spice aroma along with the moderate scent of alcohol.

Caramel and sweet bread are the first flavors I detect. Then comes a slight fruitiness and just a touch of earthy spice from the hops. Towards the end is a brief metallic tang before some gentle bitterness and a dry finish.

This brew has a medium mouthfeel with some light carbonation. The alcohol is quite warming and even tingles my tongue a little.

Another winner from the Summit Unchained Series, this beer is a tasty and enjoyable golden ale. It starts sweet then turns spicy and dry, which helps to balance it out. It is highly drinkable, but be careful. The high ABV could sneak up on you very easily, and I know you probably don't want to fall out of your chair. If you like Belgian ales, this one won't disappoint. Go out and give it a try. Don't worry, you shouldn't have to wait to get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment