Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Tasty Experience From Odell

Thanks to the generosity of a friend, I was recently able to sample the Odell Woodcut No. 4. I was unprepared for an official session, but this beer was so tasty I had to at least mention it here on the Lupulin Libations blog.

Woodcut No. 4 is an oak-aged lager. More specifically, it is a double marzen style lager aged in "hand-selected, hand coopered, medium toast, American virgin oak barrels." The description on the bottle was enough to get my mouth watering.

It poured with a large amount of thick head, and I couldn't believe how red the body was. The aromas of the beer somewhat confused me, as I almost likened it to a Belgian sour. There was some sort of tart fruit scent in the nose. When I tasted it, there was no definitely no confusion. Rich, caramelly malt, bourbony oak, and vanilla were all present. The texture and mouthfeel was viscous, creamy and velvety - reminding me of drinking a milkshake.

This brew was an awesome experience, and I highly recommend you try it. Be warned though: you might not want to drink the 750ml bottle yourself, because it is a heavyweight 11% ABV. Try sharing it with a good friend. That's how I was fortunate enough to get a taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment