Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Beer from Saturday's Tasting

Yesterday, I talked about the friendliness of fellow craft beer enthusiasts at the Grand Beer Tasting in the Top Ten Wine & Spirits' Cottage Grove location. Today, I wanted to mention a little about a few of the beers.

Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot (WTF) - I had just recently read the description of WTF on the Lagunitas website and was excited to see it at the tasting. They call it an Imperial Brown Ale. I thought this beer was very tasty, probably my favorite one of all the new beers I tried that day. It was big and malty like I expected, but it was also very hopped up, which created a lovely balance. Decently strong at 7.83% ABV. I will have to put this on my list for an official beer session.

Deschutes Mirror Pond and Black Butte: This brewery was on the list in the email that Top Ten sent out. When I saw that, I was very excited. Up until now, we haven't been able to get beers from Deschutes in Minnesota. I had read and heard great things about their beers, and now I was able to try some. Mirror Pond Pale Ale was amazing. I think I've found a great new session beer for summer! Black Butte Porter also impressed me, and now I can't wait for more Deschutes brews to come to Minnesota. Go out and try some of this stuff!

Great Divide Brewing: This brewery had more beers at the tasting than any other brewery. I was pretty happy about that. Here is what they had to sample: Denver Pale Ale, Wild Raspberry Ale, Titan IPA, Colette Farmhouse Ale, Yeti Imperial Stout, and Hercules Double IPA. All are high-quality and pretty tasty.

Grand Teton Brewing: I've had their beers before, and I like them. However, I had a problem with how this brewery's beer was sampled at the tasting. Compared to all the other samples, Grand Teton had such small servings that you could hardly taste the beer. They also had "run out" of some of their beers, including one that I was excited to try for the first time. None of the other tables ran out of beer or served such tiny samples. Just my one small gripe about the tasting.

Thank you, Top Ten. You host some very good beer tastings and I look forward to attending more in the future. Keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment