Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Westvleteren 12


This post is the third and final of my Westvleteren beer sessions. Today, I will go over the observations my friend and I made regarding their number 12. This brew is considered to be one of the best in the world by many people. It falls into the Belgian quadrupel category and might require some sipping restraint due to its healthy 10.2% ABV.

Appearance

Nick: Even with my standard pour, this beer quickly and easily generates a rocky 4-finger light tan head. The foam doesn't seem to want to settle down much, so I'll keep an eye on its gradual decline. The body color is a murky dark brown, almost black.

Kurt: I gently poured my entire portion completely down the side of the glass after watching Nick get such a huge level of foam. Due to that, I got a 1-finger light tan head. The liquid is dark brown.

Smell

Nick: Sweet molasses with figs and raisins along with a touch of roasted nuts. There is a hint of alcohol, but nothing overpowering.

Kurt: I get the same molasses and raisin aromas, along with some dry hazelnut and roasted coffee beans.

Taste

Nick: WOW! Caramel flavor becomes dark chocolate before turning fruity with raisins and dates. Macadamia nuts briefly appear and then dry alcohol. It all leads into an herbal spiciness followed by a gentle bitter kiss at the finish.

Kurt: Molasses, figs, and raisins come through, then fruity, dry alcohol, hazelnuts and a hint of caramel.

Mouthfeel

Nick: The feel is medium-thick with a surprisingly light level of carbonation. It is velvety and luxurious in my mouth. In case you were wondering, the head finally fell to a thin layer while leaving some pretty lacing on my glass.

Kurt: Thick mouthfeel with light carbonation.

Overall Opinion

Nick: This is an awesomely tasty and complex brew. It's no wonder why anyone who's tasted this nectar holds it in such high regard. If this beer was more easily acquired, I would revisit it often. If you are ever given the opportunity to try this or any of the Westvleteren beers, definitely go for it!

Kurt: I just want to say that each Westvleteren beer is amazingly unique in its own right. They all have such rich, full flavors. I think the Blond and the #8 would be easily drinkable on a warm breezy day. The #12 is overwhelming with its flavors (for a newb like me sitting down and trying to figure it out); that's what makes it great. Just a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment