Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Westvleteren Blond


In my last post, I mentioned my opportunity to try some beers made by the Trappist monks in Westvleteren. My friend Kurt acquired these brews and offered to share them with me. Of course, I accepted. We recently sat down to taste all 3 on a nice fall evening, outside. I invited Kurt to make some of his own tasting notes as I went through my usual process, and I will be sharing both of our observations with you.

The bottles for these brews have no labels, but all necessary information is located on the cap. This is why I will be showing you detailed photos of the caps, along with my "usual" session pics.

Our first session is with the Westvleteren Blond. This is the lightest in color, body, and alcohol, with an ABV of 5.8%. From my online research, this would be considered the monks' table beer. It is the one beer they create for their own consumption.

Appearance

Nick: A 2 finger white head falls to 1/2 inch and hangs on. The body is cloudy and golden in color.

Kurt: Billowy white head that is fluffy like a cloud. Body is a goldish wheat color.

Smell

Nick: The sweet smell of honey leads into an acidic lemon scent. There is also a pumpkin-pie-like spice aroma.

Kurt: Banana, honey, and a hint of lemon or apricot. Also a nutmeg spice character.

Taste

Nick: Pleasant sweet bready malt with some fruit and a hint of black pepper. A nice cleansing earthy bitterness finishes it all off.

Kurt: Flat lemony, bready flavor with a slight sweetness in the middle. Finishes with acidic pumpkin spice and some pepper at the back of my tongue.

Mouthfeel

Nick: Medium-light weight and creamy with light carbonation. At this point, I'm noticing some light lacing on my glass.

Kurt: Light body with light carbonation. The beer coats my mouth.

Overall Opinion

Nick: This is a very tasty and drinkable Belgian ale that would be suitable for many different drinking scenarios, including pairing with dinner or just quenching one's thirst on a warm day. This brew is very good and I can't wait to try the heavier hitters from Westvleteren.

Kurt: Ditto.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! Keep up the good work.I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete