Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Westvleteren 8


Before I get started, I want to apologize for my lack of posts in the last couple weeks. I've been very busy AND I was lucky enough to get my first sinus-congesting cold of the (upcoming) winter. Thanks for being patient and sticking with me.

This post is the second in a series of three, dedicated to the beers produced by the Trappist monks in Westvleteren. Today, I will go over the observations my friend and I made regarding their number 8. My research indicates this beer falls under the Belgian dubbel style category. The ABV matches the name of this brew with a very appropriate 8%.

Appearance

Nick: A 3-finger light tan head descends into a half-inch thick blanket. The body is dark brown and opaque.

Kurt: A thick tan head on top of liquid that is dark brown in color.

Smell

Nick: The sweet aromas of brown sugar and raisins combine with a hint of tart berries. There is also a nice earthy hop presence, along with some dry alcohol.

Kurt: Acidic cherries and smokey oak.

Taste

Nick: The brief flavor of a caramel-chocolate blend combines with a fruit character that I liken to ripe strawberries. A pleasant dark roasted coffee bitterness finishes everything cleanly.

Kurt: Dry with raisins and cherries. Slight earthiness in the middle with some acidic tartness. Sour dates at the finish.

Mouthfeel

Nick: A medium level of viscosity with very mild carbonation allows my mouth to be coated with goodness. After swallowing, I gaze at the sticky lacing on my glass.

Kurt: Mild carbonation. Coats my mouth with it's medium body.

Overall Opinion

Nick: "Delicious" says it all. This is an awesome dubbel that is more fruity than I expected, which only served to raise the flavor profile to new tasty heights.

Kurt: Yep, totally!

No comments:

Post a Comment