Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Monday, December 19, 2011

El Bait Shop

Last week, I went on a business trip to Des Moines, Iowa. During the day, things were all serious business and client meetings. Then, in the evening, I was shown that downtown Des Moines has some great places to drink tasty beer. The first place I visited was El Bait Shop.

Driving past El Bait Shop, you'd never suspect what lurks inside. The unassuming brick building with a couple tiny windows is decorated with a few signs from old oil companies. It could be any old bar at first glance.

When you walk inside, it's easy to see this place isn't just any old bar. Your attention gets pulled in many directions by the eclectic (and fun) atmosphere. Old bicycles hang from the ceiling and walls. Old, new, and obscure beer signs are everywhere. All manner of lighting hangs from the ceilings, including the converted kegs that dangle over the bar. Then there's the bar itself, clear plastic with old fishing gear embedded inside.

That's a lot to take in as you're walking up to the bar. It seemed like this place had potential and would be an enjoyable watering hole, but the full, huge smile on my face didn't come until I saw what was behind the bartender. 105 tap handles, all for American craft brews. It was truly a sight to behold. Check out the pictures on their website if you don't believe me.

They had a nice, big chalkboard to help navigate my beer endeavors. Everything was broken down by style, so finding suitable flavors was made simpler. I drank two delicious brews I had never tasted before and had to be on my way; dinner plans awaited me.

I really enjoyed my time at El Bait Shop. I wish I could have stayed longer, but this will help fuel my desire to make a return trip. If you find yourself in the downtown Des Moines area, you owe it to yourself to visit this excellent craft beer bar. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment