Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Beer Brief #14 - Hoptical Illusion


Before I get this beer brief started, I just want to thank my good friend Mark for providing me with this beer. He travels to Canada frequently for work and made the effort to pack this beer carefully for his return flight home. Let's see how it is...

Brewery - Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery, Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Beer - Hoptical Illusion
Style - Pale Ale
ABV - 5%
Color - Reddish amber with a white head
Aroma - Brown sugar, bread, herbs, slight grapefruit
Flavor - Sweet caramel, hop spice, brief pineapple, strong bitterness, dry finish
Verdict - Well crafted and drinkable pale ale with high perceived bitterness and very dry finish. I know people that would absolutely love this beer, but I prefer my hoppy ales to have a bit more hop aroma and flavor. I would definitely tip a couple of these back, but I don't know that I would revisit it often.

No comments:

Post a Comment