Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Everybody's & Big Horse

Ah, day two of my beer trip to Oregon. We hit four breweries yesterday, two of which will be quickly covered in this post.

To start off, we crossed the Columbia River to visit Everybody's Brewing in White Salmon, Washington. Even with proper directions, the place was hard to find. There was minimal external markings, which made it hard to identify the building. I think we drove past it 4 times before we decided to park and do a walking search. This eventually led us to the appropriate location. Stepping into the brew pub, we grabbed a high-top table near the bar and were quickly served.


As was going to be the theme for this trip, we ordered the beer sampler. They provided a handy laminated guide when the beverages were delivered.




How was the beer? To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. I considered the majority average at best. The only one I really enjoyed was the Country Boy IPA. I definitely wouldn't consider the visit a bust, though. If we hadn't journeyed across the river, we would have missed the extremely scenic view of Mount Hood. I took a couple pictures, but they didn't do it justice.

We left White Salmon and returned to our hotel in Hood River. The plan now was to walk to the other three breweries. We set off with an awesome 64° temp and the sun shining amongst the beautiful landscape. The first stop on our hike was Big Horse Brew Pub.


Even with only one person working at the time, we were immediately welcomed and treated very well. We ordered the sampler and enjoyed the view of the river while we waited.



Now, this was some tasty stuff. I really enjoyed all the brews and had a hard time choosing a favorite. The flanders red was great, but there were two I loved more. For ultimate flavor, I'd go with the 5-year aged Phat Dog Barleywine. For a delicious brew that will allow you to put down more than one pint, I'd choose the Dwed Piwate Wobberts Pale Ale.

We finished our sampler, each drank another pint, and then set off to the next couple breweries...

No comments:

Post a Comment