Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Widmer Gasthaus

On my beer journeys through Portland, I thought it would be appropriate to visit one of the oldest and most well know craft brewers in the city: Widmer Brothers.

Part of one of Jeff Alworth's pub crawls, the Widmer Gasthaus was an easy option. However, what I didn't realize is that the actual production brewery is located right next door. They offer free tours, but we had missed both timeslots. Oh well, just another excuse to find my way back to Portland...

Onto the Gasthaus. When we stopped in at 3pm, it was a pretty busy place. We were seated and took a look at the beer list. Since Widmer beers are easy to find in MN, I had already tried many of the brews on the list. However, there were enough which I hadn't had, so we ordered a taster tray. The waitress gave us a slip of paper that allowed us to create our own sampler.


The first 5 were the ones I hadn't tried, and my buddy chose the last one.


All the beers were good, but I liked the Marionberry Gose and the Spiced IPA for my top 2. I ordered a tasty pastrami sandwich with a side of spaetzle (which seems to be popular around here). The food was delicious and the beer was tasty. Overall, a good experience at the Widmer Gasthaus.


No comments:

Post a Comment