Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Town Hall visit

I've heard nothing but good things about Town Hall Brewery in Minneapolis. Everyone who's been there seems to give high praise to this brewpub's food and beer. Living in Hastings, it has been hard for me to schedule a convenient time to make the trek to this lauded establishment. However, this past Saturday I was finally able to visit and sample some of their beer.

It wasn't a planned trip, so I didn't have my notepad or time set aside for official sessions with each beer. This was a spontaneous fun time with friends, and I really enjoyed it. I do want to mention the beers, though. I started with a pint of their current cask ale and then ordered a sampler of their seasonal beers.
  • Cask English style pale ale - I can't remember the official name of this beer, but the waitress described it as a hoppy English style pale ale brewed with Fuggles and East Kent Goldings hop varieties. I love cask ales, and this one was no exception. It was English with an American twist, as the hop level was much more than a traditional English pale ale.
  • Marmelade Sky - Pale ale made with Amarillo hops and both bitter and sweet orange peel. A very refreshing pale ale with a hint of citrus. I could definitely drink a few of these on a hot day.
  • American Craft Beer Wheat - American style wheat brewed for American Craft Beer Week. I was the least impressed with this beer. This felt bland to me. It was well brewed, but nothing stood out flavor-wise.
  • Abominable - Porter brewed with the Yeti coffee blend from Peace Coffee. This might be my new favorite coffee beer. It tasted like a cold-pressed coffee with little bit of cream and sugar in it. I could drink it for breakfast!
  • Mango Mama - IPA brewed with Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, and Mt. Hood hop varieties and mango. I love IPAs and mangos, so this beer sounded win-win to me. It definitely was! The mango was the perfect complement to the sweet malt and citrusy hops. Tasty, tasty, tasty.
  • Grand Cru - Their version of the Belgian style celebratory ale. Strong at 9.5% ABV, it was a tasty Belgian with a lighter mouthfeel than I expected.
As far as their food goes, I wasn't very hungry during the visit because I had eaten a large lunch. I went the appetizer route and got an order of the Pub Fries. Man, those things were awesome! My friends all ordered meals, and they loved their food, too.

Overall, I had a great time on my first visit to Town Hall. I'll have to plan another excursion there soon. I know that I'll enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment