Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Schell's Maifest

I often enjoy drinking Schell's year-round offerings. They are well-made, high quality beers that I can always depend on. Their seasonal offerings aren't any different, except for the fact that I can only get them at certain times of the year. In fact, I think my own anticipation of each seasonal causes me to enjoy them even more than their other beers.

There are currently 7 seasonals produced by Schell's, and not one of them is a bad beer. With the exception of Snowstorm (because it is a different recipe every year), I look most forward to the spring release of Maifest.

Maifest is a German maibock style lager. In Germany, maibocks are traditionally tapped in May to celebrate the start of spring. They are typically a rich, strong lager and Schell's interpretation is no exception. This beer weighs in at a healthy 7.2% ABV. I'm ready to pry off the cap and start the session!

I pour the Maifest into my flute glass. A 1/4 inch white head is generated, but falls somewhat quickly into a small thin patch and a ring around the edge of the glass. The body is orangish gold and clear. There are not many visible bubbles rising to the top.

The aroma is not very strong. There is a bready sweet smell with a hint of honey. Faint herbal notes are also present.

The taste is a much stronger version of the aroma. There is sweet and rich toasted grain, with maybe just a bit of honey. A gentle bitterness comes on gradually and leads into a dry finish. Alcohol is detectable, but appropriate and not overpowering.

The medium weight of the body coats the tongue slightly, but is cleaned away by surprisingly prickly carbonation and alcoholic dryness. It is crisp and easy to swallow with a small warming effect that builds.

This is a very tasty and highly drinkable maibock. It has been very popular at my Coborn's tastings. The rich malt dominates, but is washed away by the bitter and dry qualities. In my opinion, this makes it drink like a session beer even though it's not. I can see this beer being flavorful and refreshing if you drink it cold on a warm spring/summer day. Just don't drink too many, because the ABV might knock you on your butt. This beer is in liquor stores right now, but it won't be long until the next Schell's seasonal takes over. Go get some to try before it's gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment