Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Schell's Stag Series

It's becoming popular for breweries in our region to release a line of innovative and experimental limited edition beers. Tyranena has Brewers Gone Wild, New Glarus has Unplugged, and Summit has the somewhat new Unchained Series. I'm a big fan of this new trend because it really lets the brewers cut loose and try some new things that they probably weren't allowed to do in the past (at least not through their brewery). Now another Minnesota brewer is entering this realm. It's our favorite New Ulm brewery, Schell's.

August Schell Brewing has been somewhat involved with limited edition brews in the past with their Snowstorm label. This annual winter brew is a different recipe every year and has been very successful for them. There are many people who eagerly await and anticipate the release of this beer every winter. Good news, everyone: Now you won't have to wait until December of each year to try a new Schell's recipe, because they've decided to take it up a notch with their new Stag Series line of beers.

The first beer in the series is Barrel-Aged Schmaltz's Alt. They have taken their familiar tasty altbier and aged it in French-oak Pinot Noir wine barrels. It has already been released and is available in 22 ounce bombers.

I had not seen this beer at my local liquor stores yet and I'm excited for it to show up. This past weekend, my brother brought a bottle to my parent's house on Mother's Day and he was kind enough to share some with me. I didn't sit down for an official beer session, but I can tell you this: Wow! I couldn't believe how much of the wine flavor made it into the beer. You should definitely give this unique beer a try. When I find a bottle of my own, I'll be sure to post a session for all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment