Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Surly Hell

I know that fall is sneaking up on us, but I wanted to have an official session with something I've been saving in my fridge since mid-July. I haven't had a lot of time for beer sessions lately because of an extremely busy late summer, so I made a decision last night to fit this brew into my schedule. This particular beer may be produced with the intention of consuming it in warm weather, but I'm sure you won't mind drinking it in the early fall (or any other time, for that matter). It's time for my session with Hell, from Surly.

Hell is an unfiltered German-style Munich Helles lager. In German, hell is the adjective for "light" while helles is a noun that basically translates to "a light one." As Surly's summer seasonal, it would be fitting for this brew to be "a light one." According to their website, the numbers come in at 20 IBUs and 4.5% ABV.

I pour the pint can into my pilsner glass. A big, 3-finger white head is easily generated and then slowly settles into a thin layer of sticky bubbles. The body is a lovely golden hue and is not as light in color as you might expect from the name translation. It has a slight haze (because it is unfiltered, no doubt) and some visible carbonation floating to the top.

The mellow aroma is dominated by honey-kissed grain and is followed by just a touch of hop earthiness. There is also a little bit of spice detectable.

The flavor of sweet bready malt leads into a pleasant herbal spice and a nice moderate level of bitterness. A sharp coppery tang at the finish lets me know it's time for the next sip.

This brew has a nice medium-light thickness with some light, but prickly, carbonation. It is quite crisp while remaining very easy to swallow. There is some light lacing visible as the liquid level keeps dropping.

Hell is a very good German-style lager. This brew is easy drinking with its lighter body and simple, yet tasty, flavors. Crisp and refreshing, it is very appropriate for quenching your beer thirst in warm weather. The bonus of the low ABV makes it possible for you to consume a few without getting too tipsy. Sorry this session came at the end of summer, but you might still be able to find some Hell in stores to enjoy before the weather gets too cool. Definitely buy it if you see it. If not, don't worry. Hell will return again!

No comments:

Post a Comment