Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Good conversation at Great Waters

I've been known to stop in at Great Waters for happy hour beers from time to time. On Monday, my friends and I went there after work so we could try the latest seasonals.

We each had a King Boreas Imperial Wit and a Vulcanus Red. I also had a Yultide Ale. As we were sitting at the bar enjoying our beers, we got the pleasant opportunity to have a conversation with Great Waters' head brewer, Bob Du Vernois. If you haven't met Bob, he's a friendly and knowledgeable person who always seems happy to answer questions. We chatted about many things, but I thought I'd share the tidbits about the current seasonals.

King Boreas Imperial Wit: This delicious wit is brewed with the traditional orange and coriander. The ABV is not so traditional, coming in at 8%! In years past, this beer was cloudy. Bob told us that this year he wanted to brighten the beer. He clarified the beer so that it is clear and more pleasing to the eye. It tastes great, and looks pretty!

Vulcanus Red: If I remember right, this beer was a very traditional but solid amber last year. However, this year they jazzed it up a bit. I could smell and taste it right away, but I still had to ask Bob to confirm. This year, he added cherrywood smoked malt into the recipe. This gives it a lovely smokey aroma and adds some complexity to the flavor. It is very unique and quite tasty! I can see myself drinking it along with a nice grilled ribeye steak on my plate...

I highly recommend both of these beers. Get over to Great Waters soon, because these seasonals won't last long.

Bob, thanks for the conversation and the great beer! Keep up the good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment