Lupulin Libations

The name says it all.

Lupulin glands are the tiny little yellow pockets of goodness in a hop cone that contain some essential ingredients for aroma and flavor in beer.

A libation is an alcoholic beverage, and of course beer fits into that category.

Lupulin Libations is dedicated to everything beer. I offer you a chance to have an experience with beer through my organized tasting sessions.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Summit ESB - RIP


I was recently visiting the Summit Brewing website and decided to look over their beer lineup to see if anything had changed. To my surprise, I did not see the Summit Extra Special Bitter (ESB) listed anymore! I decided to send them a quick email to discover the fate of this beer, one of my favorites from Summit. I received a prompt reply from the brewery confirming my fear; the ESB has been discontinued. They packaged it in their winter sampler 12 packs, and that will be the last of it.

I had just purchased a Summit winter sampler pack last week, without knowing I was getting some of the last bottles of this beer. I am very glad to have the 3 bottles from the sampler. I'm using the first bottle to write this, my tribute review to a fallen beer.

I pour my Summit ESB 12 oz bottle into a heavy glass mug. A 3-finger creamy off-white head quickly emerges from the reddish-copper body. It takes a few seconds for the head to fall into a nice, 1/4" thick layer. The beer is beautifully clear and is begging me to take a sniff.

I smell some sweet caramel and a little fruit. Not too much hop aroma, but there is a hint of it. I've smelled this beer dozens of times, and now my mouth is starting to water in anticipation.

My first sip is wonderful, as always. Up front, I can taste the caramel I smelled. The sweetness of the malt is balanced well by a very nice level of hop bitterness. I also detect a slight biscuity note and a little bit of a minerally metallic twang. It finishes dry and leaves me wanting another taste. With each sip, it leaves some nice lacing on my mug.

There is a moderate level of carbonation and a medium-light feel to the body. This beer is very easy to drink and enjoy.

In case you couldn't already tell, I really like this beer. It is malty, but well balanced by some delicious bitterness. A wonderful session beer, especially with it's 5.1% ABV. This highly drinkable ale is one of my favorites from Summit and I'm sad to see it go. I'm going to be selfish and keep the last 2 bottles from the sampler for myself. If you think this beer sounds good or if you're already a fan, go look for it at your local liquor stores. The supplies are dwindling, but you should still be able to find it in in the Summit winter sampler and some remaining 6-packs. You'll have a nearly extinct beer should you find it!

Rest In Peace, Summit ESB.

1 comment: